Monday, July 25, 2011

Home Sweet Virginia Home

"A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike.  And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless.  We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us."  - John Steinbeck

After hiking some seven hundred miles or so from Atlanta in a generally northbound direction, I have found myself unexpectedly at home in central Virginia.  I had never dreamed of desiring a home outside of the Northwest.  I so love the rugged horizon of the high mountain desert, and I will miss the cool, dry air as well as the pines and sagebrush and pronghorn antelope.  A large piece of my heart will always reside in my beloved city of Boise.  But, as my wise sister advised me, "One can never have too many homes."

And so here I am, falling in love with the wild tangled woods and balmy summer heat of Virginia.  I adore living in the countryside, literally in the trees (we live in a treehouse - at least until it starts getting colder).  I love falling asleep to the singing of frogs by the tiny glows and flashes of fireflies, and I love waking to the clucking of chickens as the sun rises.

Oh, and Reverend the dog loves life in the Virginia woods as well!  (See photos of happy dog below)











No comments:

Post a Comment